Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Runners 1981



Epiphany = meaningful moments.

We just celebrated Little Christmas or Womens Christmas here in Ireland on January 6th,in remembrance of the Celtic Church which would have celebrated Christmas day on January 6th in accordance with all the Eastern Christian churches.Traditionally its a day of rest for the women.January 6th is now called the Feast of Epiphany or Kings Day or Twelfth Night. Its celebrated right across Europe and especially in Mediterranean countries, and Ive always thought the west of Ireland was a displaced Mediterranean culture, not nordic.As the christian church moved northwards it needed to take over the competition of local festivals like the winter solstice on December 21st.

Anyway the feast day reminded me of the importance of epiphanies, and of this painting in particular, which is called "The Runners".

That year my brothers were running in the National Cross Country Championships on Hampstead Heath in London. One brother is very focused on winning and in the fray, the other is more nonchalant about it, on the edge. I noticed the photographer at his vantage point behind the tree, observing the runners from behind as they advanced away from him. On the left a woman watches with her two children swinging around her much like the runners swinging round the tree. Perhaps she knew someone in the race too. Above her the kite flies free to observe while the ground swirls with the movement of the runners. The tree seems to point the way. The sky broods. And later I paint these observations. I was exhilarated by the unity of what I observed with myself participating. Sometimes you want to catch that moment and express it.

This was my second painting so the technique is very basic because I didn’t understand paint properties. So in a way I was running too, trying to catch up with my comprehension! I think Im still in that race.